Thursday, June 17, 2010

And so it begins

Ok, so I’ve been talking about starting a blog for a while now. Finally it has happened! As some of you are aware, this will be my main means of showing you what I’ve been up to (relating to my trip). Jammer vir die van julle wat voel ek skeep my moedertaal af, maar ek gaan nie elke stukkie wat ek tik vertaal nie. There are a couple of things that I want to do during this trip, beside see other countries.

#1: Break the rut. I feel like I’ve been stuck in a rut for some time now. I’m not sure why, but what better way of getting out of it by making a change. So the idea is simple: so some place where few people know you and there is no “quick bail out” if something goes wrong. Of course I’m not trying to do the solitude thing, I can do that well enough in Stellenbosch. I’m just trying to shake things up, and forcing yourself into a new environment might just do the trick.

#2: Locals. Locals have always been the key to enjoying a foreign country. So, I’m going to try engage them. I read an article about a MIT professor (Amy Smith) who is “fixing the world on $2 a day”, which inspired me to apply my engineering skill to improve the lives of others. I know I’m no mechanical or structural engineer, but with some mechanical background fixing & rebuilding cars I recon I might be able to help someone somewhere. So, the idea is to travel the back roads of South America and meet some locals. Maby I can swop some labour / apply skills in return for board and lodging. I heard about WOOFFing, which would nicely fit into this idea.

Ruan_se_KLR_04#3: Travel. So I need to get around South America, but there are so many options. I quite like following my nose, so I thought of getting my own transport. Since this trip is all about getting myself out of my comfort zone, I’ve decided to travel by motorbike. But I don’t (didn’t) ride a bike. So I bought one :) I now have my learners and have done a couple of weekend trips (I’ll update them on this site). All in the name of preparation.

 

 

 

The plan: In broad strokes I want to travel in South America for 3 months, doing a circle route. Then off to North America, go to the smithsonian institute, visit friends in California and finally end up in Vancouver, Canada to visit my crazy Canadia friend April. As time goes by (and the budget becomes clearer) I’ll refine the plan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment