Friday, June 18, 2010

Preparation 101

PPPPPP: Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance (the 6 P’s so few children get taught). Let me just start by saying that the idea of this trip is not to plan out an itinerary like a travel agent, but rather do as I like, when I like & how I like. However, without knowing what is out there, how will I know what I need to plan and what I can wing (yes, the wing is king :) ). For instance, I have no idea whether I need visas, places of interest or exactly what countries I want to visit. I hadn’t even looked at a map until about a month ago :)

So in the spirit of preparation, I’ve started to research how to buy a vehicle in South America, because there is no way I’m renting for 3 months. I’ve found some forums that have given some detail as to the paperwork, but in truth I’ve only really looked at Chile. Argentina is next on my list.

I had no idea how difficult it was to find a map of South America in South Africa! Fortunately all the maps I need at the moment (to orientate myself) are found in the back of my new travel book. I spent some time on Saturday to look for a travel guide on South America. I found two at Exclusive Books in the Waterfront, and after Googe-ing some reviews and found another guide which some liked more. Obviously I had to have a look at it. Fortunately there was one available in Cavendish, so I went there. After spending about 20min scanning the Lonely Planet and Footprints guide, I finally settled on The Footprints South American Handbook 2010.

I gather that Spanish is spoken in a lot of countries in South America, so I’m going to learn Spanish. I remember from my German travels that learning a new language on the go is loads of fun. It also gives a sense of achievement if you can understand what the person across the counter is saying…sort of.

So at this moment, my focus is on South America. Since I have a holiday visa for the USA, I’m not too fussed with the plans for the north…yet.

0 comments:

Post a Comment