Thursday, December 16, 2010

Good bye Tikkie

As I have mentioned before, I have been systematically selling my vehicles. I happy to report that I have managed to sell my KLR 650, after having to do some work to the engine (which I was not happy about). The upside is, I got a better price and Sean (a guy I know from VYC who bought it) now has a bike with all the problems sorted out. At least someone is getting a good deal.

I have been very hesitant about selling Tikkie (my 1966 Fiat 850). The main reason for this, is that for me there is a lot of sentimental value to the car. Tikkie has been around for quite a while, starting off as a post-school project of mine. I wanted to rebuild my first car, and that is exactly what I did. At some point my mother’s car was giving issues, so she drove Tikkie. And while overseas, my dad drove Tikkie and later used Tikkie as his wedding car. So you can see that this car made quite an impression on our family. For this reason, I wanted Tikkie to go to a family that will appreciate the car they have and is willing & able to properly take care of it.

Johan, a colleague at Stellenbosch University has been eying Tikkie for about 4 years and lately has been asking to buy Tikkie. For obvious reasons I gave my dad first option, as he had expressed the desire to rebuild Tikkie. Unfortunately the deck is stacked against my dad as work and family commitments made it clear that he won’t have the time to complete this project. So yesterday, Johan became the new owner of Tikkie.

Letting go of an old companion was difficult, but it is something that I have to learn. Selling of my Daihatsu and KLR prepared me in a weird sort of way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment