Friday, December 24, 2010

Safe from the bed bugs

Until recently, my life has been consumed by tying up work work stuff and preparation for the Cape to Rio race. In the process I have realised that I still need to get my Yellow fever inoculation, which is a legal requirement to enter Brazil. So I went to get my Yellow fever inoculation today.

While at the Travel Clinic, I asked about the recommended inoculations as my adventure will most likely be taking me into some dodgy places. The inoculations that were recommended include: Hepatitis A & B, Cholera, Typhoid and Adesol Quadra (a combination of Polio, Tetanus, Diphtheria and Petasis vaccines). Usually these inoculations are administered over a period of time and I have left it a bit late. I seem to be following a pattern with my planning :) I asked a lot of questions while at the travel clinic, so I’ll put down the information about each inoculation:

  • Yellow Fever:   This is a once-off shot. It needs to be taken at least 2 weeks before entering the area. A longer time is better, as side effects include head-aches and nausea for 7-10 days.
  • Hepatitis A & B:   Unfortunately the Hep A & B inoculation can’t be completed in one appointment. So once I get back to Cape Town I’ll have to have to complete the three part course (I’m currently in East-London visiting family for Christmas). Usually the three shots are spaced about a month apart, which gives a much more potent inoculation. In my case I will be doing a 0-7-21 day accelerated schedule. This will give me decent protection for about 3 years.
  • Cholera:   Two shots to complete the vaccination.
  • Typhoid:   One shot
  • The Adesol Quadra combines the vaccines mentioned above. This is only one shot.

I asked about anti-malaria medication. Apparently there are three variations (including cost).

  • Doxycyclin (Doxymal):   Taken daily, affordable
  • Mephliam:   Taken weekly, affordable, but not allowed to dive while taking it.
  • Malenol:   Taken daily, expensive!

Since the strain of Malaria might be different from South Africa, I have to do some more research before I commit to one. I was actually thinking of getting the medication in South America.

For more reading, go to the Centre of Disease Control’s website.

2 comments:

GreenOnion said...

haha that's exactly what I was like before I went to SA...trying to fit in all the shots *involuntary shudders* I hate shots! Do you have to take shots while you're in school? I remember we did Hep B over three months when I was 10 and it was one of the worst experiences of my grade 5 year!

rdehart said...

Yes we has shots. Think it was for Polio and Tetanus. Hep is a possibility. But I'm pretty sure my school inoculations didn't hurt as much as it did you :)

Post a Comment