Friday, February 25, 2011

Learning the hard way…again

So today was a lesson in how not to travel. I’m quite pissed at myself as I write this. So I’m creating these rules for travelling (these should’ve been apart of PPPPPP, but hindsight is 20/20).

Rule #1 (Chris’ rule): Pack light! I knew this before leaving SA as this is the one thing that my dad preaches about travelling, but today was the “re-awakening”! Lets call it “Chris’ rule”. I’m typing in the bus on my back to Petropolis where I spent last night (I’ll get to that). What am I doing carrying a netbook with me while travelling???!!!! There were three reasons: Keep you informed (via this blog) of my adventure, use it as a backup of & potentially edit photos on my trip and music (MP3 player). Today I’m not convinced this was a good decision. I’ll re-evaluate at the end.
I currently have 4 books with me (2x Travel guides, a novel and a Bible). What are books made of? Wood = heavy! The tow travel guides compliment each other well. The first is one I purchased in the beginning of 2010 (Footprint’s South American Handbook 2010). I find it has fairly good maps of the major places, great maps of the countries and the continent. The detail provided is also great, but I don’t find it inspiring to read. The second was given to me as a birthday present by Deon & Sonja (The Rough Guide to South America on a Budget), thanks guys! I have motivation to travel after reading this one. Its maps are sadly lacking (shows major cities, but no overall map of the continent. Make broad planning difficult), but it does point out the cheapest places (which I guess is the idea). I feel it gives enough detail without spoiling the adventure of exploring. The way I am feeling now, I’m thinking of cutting the maps out of Footprint and donating the rest to a backpackers. Not that it is a bad guide, just choosing the one I prefer. The weight is just too much, which is really my fault.
I’m sure I have too many clothes. I’ll be sorting through them tomorrow morning when I’m not tired from carrying a big bag around. I’ll re-evaluate my clothes tonight, but I’m sure I have too much. My bag is pretty full.
I’ve got a tent with me, which I was planning to use when I travelled by motorbike through South America. Since this isn’t happening anymore, should I still keep it? And what about my camping mattress? Its not heavy, just bulky & usually used with the tent.
I’m REALLY glad I got a small & light sleeping bag. Works well.
I have a light hammock & mosquito net. Will see how handy these are later.
Medical supplies are a must, so even going to question them.
Bottom line: If one object weighs around 1kg, think whether you REALLY need it. At the moment I’m not even carrying food should I want to hike for 3 days.

Rule #2: Learn the local language! Not being able to ask for directions is disastrous! Fortunately I can make myself understood in this respect. Not being able to chat about what you’re doing in the country, what you do back home, whether you are married (jip a girl asked me :) ) or that it is your round, is problematic. As I am a nice guy & very friendly, I have a way of charming people to get my way (some local advice, a bed to crash on, quickly slip into an exhibit without paying, etc.). Impossible at the moment!

Rule #3: When going to a new town/city, make sure you get there early! If possible, just after lunch. I could get away with this in Germany for two reasons: I could communicate & there were many affordable hostels that were well advertised. Not the case where I am now. I am on my way back to Petropolis for this precise reason! I was planning to go to Teresopolis tonight, but got going SO late from Pertopolas (left @15:00) that I arrived there in the dark (I stopped in Itaipava as well, but due to lack of info & bad planning I couldn’t find a bed there). Now I had to make a desision: Stay & hope to find a bed (I passed 1 or 2 on the way in, but not sure where they are located) in the dark…with a backpack & daypack…looking like a tourist…I’d be looking for shit! So in the last bus was leaving in 10min, which I got on. The only plus side is that I got to take a scenic ride to Teresopolis. The way was dark, hence why I’m typing this.
Don’t be a victim! You have been warned.

That concludes my rant for now. Hopefully my misjudgement today doesn’t bite me later.

2 comments:

GreenOnion said...

I would get rid of the camping mattress and tent if it doesn't get insanely cold at night. Worst come to worst and you can sleep outside in the hammock. Definitely take the maps out and just keep what you need, or even take pictures of the maps on your camera. I wouldn't keep the laptop either. I got a 10GB flash drive when I was travelling and just moved all my pictures and music onto it; MUCH lighter. Although, I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with the laptop now. You can mail it to me if you'd like?

rdehart said...

Well posting 2 CD's cost me more than the value of the CD's. So I'm guessing I'll be able to buy 3 laptops for the price of mailing it to you :)

The tent is definitely going. Will see about the mattress.

Post a Comment