Monday, February 21, 2011

Pre Carnival block party

Before (and I think during) Carnival there are block parties. These are held in the various areas of the city where a Samba band is the centre of the party. By this time they are in full swing. Yesterday I went for lunch with Adriana & two of her sisters in Barra de Tijuca. The youngest, Gabriella, was going to a block party that night and invited my & Hannes (sailing buddy) along. So we go home & left everything of value behind, since petty crime is a reality at these events.

The party was close to the city’s centre, in Larangeiras. Gabriella’s best friend Bruno met us there, but by this time he was pretty inebriated as he had been drinking since lunch (according to him). I have been told, by many people, that Carnival’s main attraction for the locals is not the “parade”, Samba & costumes. Rather it is the party & “Beijinios” (Kisses). As I understand it, it is normal to walk up to a girl during Carnival (and of course block parties), chat her up & then full on snog. All within 2min, if you are smooth!

The party was held in a square with the band in the middle, playing traditional Carnival Samba. By the time we arrived, the party was in full swing. Its a nice vibe. Honestly, I was a bit daunted by the whole thing…remember, I’m short. Usually taller people try to push me out of the way to get through, so I have to stand my ground. Not really the way you want to spend you evening. The people’s attitude is different here. They are more polite, not always in what they say, but in how they conduct themselves. It took me about an hour or two to acclimatise, and eventually I could properly enjoy the party.

Beer is sold everywhere. Getting rid of the beer is the big problem. I commandeered a close by VET’s bathroom rather than use a tree and potentially get locked up.

By now you are probably wondering about the “Beijinios”? I know my friends too well :) At the end of my first beer, Bruno was on top form. I was encouraged to give it a whirl. My biggest enemy was myself. Apparently I look and sound like a Carioca. So as soon as I said “hi”, I’m all out of Portuguese conversation. Switching to English confuses the girl, because in her eyes I’m local. Damn! So now she won’t believe that I’m from South Africa….and no kiss :( This went on for most of the night.

The band stopped playing at 19:00 (it was Sunday after all), but people were still hanging around. The party only showed signs of dispersing by 20:00. By this time we were able to chat to some girl & convince them that we were “strangeiros” (foreigners). As Gabriella had class in the morning, she & Bruno (who was now properly pissed, but not unable to get “Beijinios”) left. Hannes & I were invited for beer, by two girls (who can speak English), and how do you say “no” to that :) Much later after many beers we all went home…separate homes :)

All in all, a great night!

2 comments:

GreenOnion said...

wait...does this mean you can samba now?

rdehart said...

with the help of lots of beer....YES

Post a Comment