Monday, February 28, 2011

Carnival plans

Carnival is a big deal in Rio…if not all across the world. I was hoping to go south earlier to miss the cold weather of Patagonia, but I’ve been convinced by friends to stay. However, I’m not able to sit around and wait for Carnival. So I planned a couple of trips to places fairly close to Rio to overlap the weeks in between the Carnival weekends.

Tickets to the actual Carnival “show” (held in the Sambadromo, or Samba stadium) are hard to come by this close to the event. The affordable ones at least. There are many rehearsals for the actual event this close to Carnival. These rehearsals are held in the Sambadromo, but no costumes are worn. This is as close as I would be able to get to the actual “show” (its more of a competition. Google it).

So to incorporate Carnival into my trip without sitting around for a long time, the plan is as follows: Go to the mountain region of Petropolis the week before rehearsals (post to follow), back to Rio for rehearsals, the week in between go to Ouro Preto & the historic cities close by, then finally back to Rio for Carnival (Saturday & Sunday). The last two days of Carnival (Monday & Tuesday) I’ll go with Adriana to Correas (just outside Petropolis) where a friend of her has a house. ACTION PACKED STUFF!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment