Friday, February 4, 2011

Initial impressions of Rio

Arriving in Rio I was very tired as we sailed through the night, so these impressions might not be totally accurate.

The yacht club in in the middle of the river mouth, just under Sugarloaf mountain. The mountains have very steep edges and are very dark. For some reason, I had this idea in my mind that Rio’s surroundings weren’t very high. Boy was I wrong. The mountains are high, with Christ the Redeemer on a mountain that looks surreal. I have no idea how they got all the cement up there.

We took a taxi to Copacabana beach as Dale and Hans wanted to sleep in a hotel after the long voyage. We took a taxi there, which was a truly scary experience! The drivers in Rio make minibus taxi’s back home look like old ladies. They drive in a very fluid manner, so they change lanes quickly and mostly without warning. Close calls with busses is the norm! If I end up getting my own transport, I’ll try not to drive in Rio. These guys are crazy :)

I was expecting the people to be more laid back (like at the yacht club), but instead they seem wound up. I understand that Latin-American people are passionate & hot tempered, and that is true here.

The sailing is incredibly well organised here. There are aircraft hangers full of Oppie’s, Laser’s, 420’s and others. And I say a bit motor yacht give way to a bunch of Oppie’s…as it should be :)

  DSCF0691 DSCF0693

Nick and Phillippa, our delivery crew, have arrived. They sail an Class 40 yacht (Phesheya-Racing) in Europe and are raising funds to take part in the Global Ocean Race starting in September 2011. Great people & really hope they are able to raise the funds.DSCF0690

So in a nut shell, Rio is not what I was expecting. However, I think after some much needed sleep I will like it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment