Wednesday, February 16, 2011

At the beach

No visit to Rio is complete without a trip to be beach. To be honest, I’m not really a beach person in the traditional sense. I don’t like to lie on the beach for hours on end soaking up the sun. I prefer to go do something there. This day I would have to make an exception as I was recovering from yet another party. Yes, I know a pattern is forming here :)

Adriana lives in Leblon. Everybody has heard about Copacabana and Ipanema (both made famous by songs). Leblon is the next suburb away from the centre of Rio, practically part of Ipanema. Praia do Leblon (Leblon’s beach) is more for the family, compared to Copacabana. Don’t think for once moment though that you don’t see the stereotypical Carioca (person from Rio). Most of the girls are in skimpy bikini’s and you see the occasional jock, but most prevalent are the volleyball and foot-volley players. Foot-volley is pretty self explanatory, volleyball played with the rules of football. Besides sailing, I think this is one sport where girls can give the guys a run for their money. Remember the skimpy bikini’s I mentioned? For obvious reasons, the girls adorn a pair of short over their bikini’s. But don’t worry, these shorts quickly disappear once the game is finished :)

I went for a swim & what nice water. This is supposed to be surfing beach, but the waves suck. Only shore breakers :(
To rinse off the saltwater, there are hoses on the beach with fresh water…running ALL the time! I guess the recent floods mean that there is an abundance of fresh water. Not back home.

To nurse my tired body, Adriana suggested some Coconut water (not milk, it is clear). Two of those helped :)

DSCF0896  DSCF0900
Living the dream baby! Me & Adriana

DSCF0907
Believe it or not, I’ve lost weight :) I stand out like a sore thumb with these shorts & a belt. No Carioca wears this to the beach

DSCF0897  DSCF0906  DSCF0908
Scenes from the beach: Some foot-volley; Me rinsing off, with a great view; The road running along the beach

2 comments:

GreenOnion said...

I'm so disappointed you didn't break out the speedo. What kind of tourist are you?!?! ;-) And good call with the coconut water, Adriana! Both delicious and fantastic at rehydrating :-)

rdehart said...

I'm a tourist that is shy. Speedo's are meant for gala's

Post a Comment