Saturday, April 23, 2011

Arriving in Patagonia & Punta Arenas

I had heard about “Zona Franca” (Free Zone) which is a tax free shopping area on the outskirts of Punta Arenas. I had heard this is the place to go shopping. Since I was heading in that general direction anyway, I would go replenish some of my stolen goods there. There is no direct bus from B.A. to Punta Arenas. I first had to take a 36hour bus ride from B.A. to Rio Gallegos. A four hour lay over then a bus to Punta Arenas. I travelled for a total of 46hours. I had heard from some people that Punta Arenas was no a very nice place. What did I have to lose? I needed to buy some stuff and if was able to see another place…great.

The landscape on the ride down reminded me a lot of the Karoo in S.A. I have never been a great fan of the Karoo, but this had a very soothing effect. A welcome change from feeling a bit out of water in other places.

Weird how expectations can make or break a place for you. As I was expecting the worst I wasn’t phased by the appearance of road works and shabby looking farms on the outskirts of town. Maybe I was just happy not to see tall buildings along the skyline. Where the bus dropped us off was also not awe inspiring, outside a wooden building with a gravel parking lot. Keeping an open mind, I walked from there to the centre of town.

2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0002) 2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0003) 2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0004)
Daytime in Punta Arenas – A nice (but a bit expensive) restaurant

As you get closer the buildings suddenly change from basic looking wooden structures to sandstone. And unlike Europe, almost all of the old buildings are clean, so that they look much younger than they really are. Right in the centre is a square which is in pristine condition. I was staying in a hostel 3 blocks from the centre, which was definitely not in the historic centre. It was a dive, but I wasn’t planning on staying indoors the whole time. A bed would do me and at the price I couldn’t complain.

2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0015) 2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0017) 2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0018)
Church on the main square – The square – Road running past the square

The next day’s mission was to go shopping (never thought I’d say that while travelling). I met another South African…from Cape Town. What are the odds? :) We went to Zona Franca, a tax free area in Punta Arenas, to do shopping. Some things were well prices, but most were similar prices to the town. I guess competition is tough.

While walking around I went into one of the 4 large shops in Zona Franca and was attended to by an extremely helpful (and very nice) girl. It turned out that she was new, so we had a bit of a chat after I was done looking around. We had such a good chat that I invited her to dinner :) which she graciously accepted. I know you are thinking: “what is it with Ruan and girls”. Actually I really just enjoyed her company.

2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0011) I had a bit of a late start to my shopping, so couldn’t get everything I needed. Another day of shopping…damn. At least I had some more time to rest and see a Museum. Not my usual, but it was interesting. So the things I bought: A new camera (Canon A495), Sunglasses (Optic Nerve, in town ‘cause I couldn’t find any in Z.F.), daypack with rain cover and a basic Swiss army knife. I was contemplating a cell phone, but that is just another thing that can get stolen…and I don’t really need it.

2011_04_09 - Punta Arenas (0021) After almost 3 days in Punta Arenas I’d seen everything I wanted to see. Dinner with Tamara (the girls from Z.F.) was all that I had on the cards. As I was catching a bus early the next morning, I stayed up through the night. I was really hesitant about this considering what happened last time. At least this time I knew the risks and would be attentive ALL the time! But first…party time. Tamara’s sister was also out with a friend so we met them at a great little place called Gasline. And as luck would have it, it was karaoke night. Seize the moment…so I sang. The first time I’ve done this sober. At least the people didn’t run out holding their ears :) We all ended up in a little sandwich shop at 5am. A great night!

As I left Punta Arenas I felt a little sad. This place had grown on me a bit. I guess it is always best not to have expectations, then you can’t be disappointed.

3 comments:

Edico said...

Patagonia seems very interesting indeed! Just be careful of the weather...

GreenOnion said...

haha I see Bs.As. has become B.A. :-) thanks for that! What karaoke song did you sing?

rdehart said...

@Deon: Beautiful but gets REALLY cold. Not to bad when there is no wind...but it blows most of the time.

@GO: Just for you :) All I'm going to say is it was an Elvis song. Its all I could think of at the time, because I had seen a vid of an Elvis concert the day before. I'm not great at picking karaoke songs off the cuff.

Post a Comment