Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Smores on the beach…well that was the idea – 9 July

Every country seems to have their own “around the fire” treat. The typical one is marshmallows, but ever heard of Smores?

You could guess that Smores get their name from “some more,” so I’m thinking they must be delicious. The way to make them is to roast a marshmallow, then sandwich it between two cookies with chocolate. You then leave it close to the fire as to heat up and melt the chocolate. Your mouth watering yet? April invited some friends over for lunch and we would head to the beach to make Smores after sunset. April also wanted me to try Fireball. It is a cinnamon flavoured drink that literally tastes like the Fireball sweets you used to get a children. Tonight was a night for for trying new things.

As the sun was setting we got some coffee, headed to the beach, collected some firewood and sat around the fire. Note that we hadn’t started drinking yet. So some homeless guy and his dog came to say hello and kind of invited himself to our fire. I didn’t think it a problem as he was friendly. Even before we could get to the Smores or Fireball, two “officials” pitched not identifying themselves. Since I was in a 1st world country, to which I am a foreigner, I though to be friendly and follow the local’s lead. We all got ordered to sit down and provide identification. I only had a copy of my passport. We also got asked about alcohol, which was still sealed, but they had April throw it out into the fire as alcohol is not allowed. If you read the name, don’t you think that a bad idea? Just to prove a point, April only threw a splash onto the fire which obviously turned to flame. The officer didn’t seem to think that far and just gave a childish, sheepish giggle.
So about halfway though, by this time we knew we were getting a fine, but weren’t told for what (or that they were writing out tickets for that matter). I politely asked and was told that “we were lucky and were only getting a fine for being on the beach.” Not the fire or the alcohol, but for being on the beach???? (Apparently a by-law of the city of Surrey) I was a bit confused and asked if I as a foreigner, should know all the by-laws of each town I visit. An adamant “yes” was his reply. I was perplexed by this.

I broke the law (well, by-law) and would just have to take it. So I thought “ok, maybe a $50 fine.” When walking away, I discovered that the fine was for $200!!! How is that lucky? And for being on the beach??? We were all very unhappy about this as each of us got a $200 fine. That’s $1200 for the City of Surry right there! Thinking that Canada must be similar to the USA in some regards, I checked the notice board (everything carries a warning in the USA). Not allowed to cycle, take pets onto the beach or make fires. Nothing about alcohol or being on the beach after dark. By this time I though there is some hope. I would go and contest my fine!

To be continued…

We did go back to April’s house and enjoy the Smores. Unfortunately they didn’t have that smoky taste to them, but they were still great! I still hadn’t tasted Fireball though :( Next time…but in a bar where drinking is legal :)


Sunset with our fire setting the mood. Before the “officials” showed up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment