Monday, April 30, 2012

Cycling on Vancouver Island – 26 July

April is pro-cycling. This is probably because B.C. is well suited to cycling. There is great infrastructure with bike lanes and buses providing bike racks. Even motorists are careful when cyclists are around (not something you will regularly find in South Africa). She suggested that I do a cycling trip during the time that she did a pre-planned hiked (I guess you can compare it to the Otter hike in Tsitsikamma, South Africa). She lent me her bike with special luggage and off I went.

  View Larger Map
The map of where I went. It doesn’t show the TCT I rode to Lake Cowichan.

My visit to Victoria actually starts a while before I left for Vancouver Island. A school friend noticed on good old Facebook that I was in Canada and invited me to visit her and her family in Victoria. So that would be my first stop.

 

 

   On the ferry to Swartz Bay.

On the way to Victoria I met two fellow cyclists (Jo and Karin). Will all my luggage they just had to ask what my story was. Now I know how Lucas Priklopil must’ve felt on a daily basis. Its nice to have a topic to get the conversation started off on.

 
Driving past wildlife (they are that tame) – Victoria harbour – Victoria harbour with Fairmont Empress hotel in the background


Famous art of Emily Carr – Parliamentary Buildings – Well groomed foliage – Elizma (school friend).

Victoria is very different from Vancouver. I found it more European i.t.o. layout and architecture. I ended up staying much longer at Elizma en Jan, as I had such a good time. They even put on a braai (similar to a barbeque) the night I arrived. Seeing them is definitely a highlight of my cycle trip. However, I knew I had to leave or I would spend all my time there. So I started heading North.


My campsite next to some random field (next to a “First nation” family) where a pow-wow would be held the next day. Didn’t feel too welcome so pushed on the next day. – Map of Southern Vancouver Island – Kinsol Trestle. I met “the Retreads” on the ferry to Mill bay and they invited me to cycle with them to the Trestle. Highlight #2. – The TCT converts old railways to trails. The idea is to be able to travel by the TCT across Canada from coast-to-coast.


The Retreads – Me along the TCT – Another Trestle on the way to Lake Cowichan

 
Camp at Lake Cowichan – On the way to Duncan

Chemainus is decorated with murals, celebrating its history. Here are a few


Wild seniors here :) – Random – Me in Nanaimo

After 6 days on Vancouver Island, I’m awaiting the ferry to take me back to the mainland.

0 comments:

Post a Comment