Wednesday, July 20, 2011

San Pedro de Atacama – 24 May

San Pedro is the highest place that I have been to (2400m ASL). On the lips of many travellers travelling to high altitudes, is altitude sickness. People’s bodies react differently to the altitude: Nausea, vomiting, light headedness, shortness of breath. I seemed to suffer from none of these (at least at San Pedro), but my body made up its own symptom…slow mindedness. I’ll explain.
When buying something, it would take me 20s to do a simple sum to calculate my change. I was Skyping April in Canada, with a 3 hour time difference, and we arranged to chat at 8pm local time. Great, 8 minus 3 = 7! Yes this was the pulp of my mind for about 2 days. Eish :)

As not to strain my brain I did a mellow first trip to the Salt Lakes (Lagoa Cejar). Our guide couldn’t speak English so communication was funny. An American couple, on their honeymoon, were informed about their increased “power” when they would arrive in Santiago due to the difference in altitude ;) (increased oxygen). Two things stood out for me:
Being able to lift your hands and feet out of the salty waters without sinking.
The photos taken afterwards which don’t have perspective (look below).

I randomly bumped into Gary and Sallie (Team Fantastico), they moved into the same hostel on my second day. We all went sand boarding, which was the most fun thing I did in San Pedro…my highlight! After talking to the girl selling the tours a bit, we got offered a schweet deal! Sand boarding in Death Valley with sundowners in Moon Valley. We all got “pro-boards” (which is basically a snowboard) and headed off with Pato as our guide.

We arrived as the first group to a smooth dune. Pato gave us some instruction at the top and we made our first cautions run down the dune. After two runs we developed the need…for speed. So we started waxing our boards. Needless to say that this caused some of us (read me) to have some glorious wipe-outs. Carolina, a Chilean girl I’d befriended (and the only Spanish speaking person to take the tour, ironically), was feeling confident and asked me to take some pictures. It is on this run that she had quite a spectacular fall that had everyone “feeling her pain”, and I snapped a pic as her board went over her head :) Priceless. Like a true champ, she got up and was wanting for more.

The Moon Valley was named because it resembles the surface of Mars…and something went wrong in translation, so it got called the Moon Valley (at least that is what I think the story was). Sundowners were enjoyed with a spectacular view.

Alex (Team Fantastico) had been to San Pedro a short while before, suggested the geyser tour. In case you are wondering, it is difficult to see anything without going on a tour. The whole town is filled with little agencies. Back to the tour…you have to be ready for pickup at about 5am, 2 hour ride to see the geysers at sunrise when they are the most active. It was interesting to see, especially the difference when the sun comes out. Almost no more steam! But it was either being tired or that I had done the sand boarding the day before, that I was not as impressed as expected. Maybe it was too build up. Still glad I went.

The last day I spent walking around in town and besides all the people on the street trying to sell you tours, San Pedro has a nice atmosphere. A small, but green, central square is a great place to just sit and chill.


Getting in was cold – Floating on the salt lake – Me after the swim

 
Rinsing off. Perfect timing – White men CAN jump! – Are they walking on water?

Sunset with Pisco sour


Fitting boards for sandboarding – Death Valley – Our group


Sunset in Moon Valley – Moon Valley – Carolina and I (Pato said we looked like a great honeymoon couple, hence the smiles)

 
Gary with his signature pose – Sunset profile of Carolina

 
This is one of the better early morning views. LOTS of steam – At the mouth of a geyser


Before sunrise (lots of activity) – 30min after the sun hits the ground. Everything dies


This bus remind you of “Into the Wild?” – Pato taking another tour – The cactus looked sad, so a hug was in order

 
San Pedro’s main square – One street away. Quite dusty

0 comments:

Post a Comment