Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rule #4

I have this nasty habit of not eating at regular times. This might be due to my time as a Master’s student when losing yourself in your work is par for the course. So at about 11pm you realise that you haven’t had anything to eat since lunch. In Stellenbosch this wasn’t a problem as McDonald’s is open 24-7 and I had a car to get there quickly (hunger pains set in very quickly).

While travelling alone, this can be disastrous. When I get hungry, one of the first organs my body starts shutting down is my brain. I lose the ability to think rationally as survival mode kicks in. If I am in a strange place and don’t know where to get food, I end up walking for 30min before I find food. By this time I’ve gotten tired and walking is the last thing I want to do.

So Rule #4 is: Always keep your tank full. I’ve heard people mention this about vehicles travelling through places where fuel is scares. Even more true for the human body. If you’re hungry, you can’t enjoy anything. Eat regularly and keep some form of a snack handy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment