Thursday, March 3, 2011

Sao Joao del Rei & Tiradentes

Day 1: (click for map)
I disobeyed Rule #3. Man I must be stupid! I was faced with a decision at the rodoviaria on Monday: Wait until 11pm to get bus to Ouro Preto or get a bus to Sao Joao del Rei at 2pm. I though that I could save half a day by going to Sao Joao del Rei first (wanted to go there anyway). However, I would arrive at 6pm…after the tourist office had closed. The difference was that I actually had numbers and address for place in SJ! So I look the chance.

About 30min from SJ, we stopped in the highway. I saw some red flashing lights up ahead, so thought I was some road works. Thought nothing of it. Back to my book. When the driver switched off the engine, I knew there was something fish. Two trucks had collided and were now blocking the road. The bus driver informed us that those going to SJ would be able to hitch a ride with another bus…no charge. This meant that I only got to SJ at 8pm!

Not too phase, I sat down calmly as I have been told by many people that the local of Minas Gerais (the state that SJ is in) are very friendly. 10min into the trip this became apparent. A lady sitting in front of me asked me where I was going (I must’ve looked lost before getting onto the bus). She lived in SJ and offered to explain where the hostel was. She took it one step further. Her husband picked her up at the rodoviaria and there drove me there! Awesome! By now I was hungry and one of the guys the hostel had just ordered a pizza, which I was invited to share. Score! So the day didn’t end too badly.

Day 2:
Started by walking around SJ, but wasn’t overly impressed. Yes it had nice cobble streets and old buildings, but nothing spectacular. I’d seen better. Close by (15km) is Tiradentes (map) which is much nicer. Its like it was plucked from the 1800’s and the local people replaced with modern ones. Cobbles streets with nice plazas. Surrounded by mountains. Only problem is the price. It’s not a cheap town, but I can understand why.

Stumbled upon an all wood furniture manufacturer. Great stuff & his wife is learning English, so we had a bit of a chat :) I didn’t want to take photos because people are copying his designs because they are so popular. He only designs chairs, but makes anything. Saw some truly different, but still practical, furniture. (AJ if you are reading this, you would’ve drooled!).

Got back to SJ and booked my bus ticket for Ouro Preto, for Thursday morning @ 2:45am! Eish! Either that, or leave @ 4pm…its a 4 hour ride. Remembering Rule #3, I took the early option :) So now my bus tickets are all booked.

Views of Tiradantes:
Rio arrival to Carnival (0488) Rio arrival to Carnival (0491) Rio arrival to Carnival (0496) Rio arrival to Carnival (0505) Rio arrival to Carnival (0513) Rio arrival to Carnival (0519) Rio arrival to Carnival (0527)

Day 3:
I didn’t eat well yesterday, so was tired. Treated myself to a lie-in. Just as well, because it started to rain :( After catching up on my emails and learning some Spanish (will need much more than Portuguese, since Brazil is the only country in S. Am that speaks it), I put on on my rain jacket and headed into town to discover the historic city (where-ever that might be).

Followed my nose up the hill and into a poor residential area. Helped an old lady offload some food (my good deed for the day).
Just over the hill is the “wild”. The nature is beautiful! Getting an itch to go get some “nature time”.

Saw some of the cathedrals but to be honest, I don’t want to pay to see them inside. Even though they are historic and all.

I got to the Brazilian Expeditionary Force Museum (exhibits the history of this area’s military involvement in WW2) just as they were closing. Explained to the guy that I was leaving tomorrow and they allowed me to have a quick look inside. This must bode well for my Portuguese! Very interesting! They LOTS of guns, medals & certificates of honour, uniforms and a sculpture in remembrance of the men who died (with name, photo and rank of each man). Wish I got there earlier.

I’m taking it easy tonight as I’m taking the bus to Ouro Preto (map) really early tomorrow.

Rio arrival to Carnival (0532) The rain that started the day

Rio arrival to Carnival (0537) Rio arrival to Carnival (0539)  Views from the poor neighbourhood. Not bad

Rio arrival to Carnival (0544)Rio arrival to Carnival (0542) 
Same poor neighbourhood: The houses….the view! Better than Constantia :)

Rio arrival to Carnival (0553) Rio arrival to Carnival (0558)
In the historic centre – must be a strong military background here

0 comments:

Post a Comment