Thursday, January 20, 2011

20 January: Cape to Rio, day 5

After my morning visit to the heads (toilet) it wouldn’t flush. Somewhere there was a blockage. Since I was the last to use it, it was my responsibility to fix it. Ian explained how the system worked and helped me to fix it, but I was doing all the dirty work. Some toilet paper got stuck at the stopcock, where the waste exits the boat. Fortunately there was some extra pipe aboard. It was nice to be busy again, but would’ve preferred any other job :)

Just before our shift started, we crossed the meridian. I had been practicing earlier to get a good photo of the GPS in the dark, but the moment was just too big. I got the shot, but out of focus :(

During the night, the spinnaker’s tack line broke at the shackle. Unfortunately the spinnaker gibe preventer had also broken, so before we could fix and reattach the tack line, the spinnaker had wrapped around the forestay. While trying to drop the spinnaker, it went under the bow. But we were able to get it back aboard without any damage. Following this, we went on a 2 sail reach for the rest of the night as the wind was building and topped 30kts.

DSCF0237 DSCF0239 DSCF0242

DSCF0243 DSCF0261

DSCF0265 DSCF0279 DSCF0280 DSCF0284

Crossing the Meridian!

0 comments:

Post a Comment