Monday, January 31, 2011

31 January: Cape to Rio, day 16

During the night the wind picked up and we first hoisted the spinnaker, then later the Genoa. Back on the 2hour 2person watch system, the wind died while we were on watch. It was so close to sunrise we sat around and watched it. With time on my hands, I took some nice pics of our sponsor logos. Xtra-Link sponsored our satellite communication equipment and Vizada our airtime.

The sailing activity did not end there. While fixing the heads (same problem as before, wet wipes in the system) we were called up to do sail changes…twice. The wind was very varying and shifty. But we were all happy to get out of the doldrums. Ian and I put the final touches to the heads. I’m sure it has never been that clean.

I had a shot at driving with the asymmetrical spinnaker. It is something to get used to. In the conditions I was driving (with this particular kite), if you flog the sail the chances are great that the kite would explode. I was thus VERY careful and I’m glad to report the sail is still in one piece.

The first couple of days clouds meant more wind. Today we have been trying to avoid the rain clouds, mainly because they cause a depression below them. This sucks the boat into it and then you sit without wind. There were about 3 clouds that we were avoiding the whole day. This made for a very interesting sailing day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment