Saturday, January 15, 2011

Start of the Cape to Rio yacht race: 15 January 2011

Waking up today had a funny feeling. The adventure that I have been planning since the start of 2010 will be kicking off today. I have packed my backpack 2 days ago and stored in the ship’s hold, wrapping 2.5 rolls for cling wrap around it to keep it dry. The only things I had with me, were the clothes that I was wearing. The rest of my gear was already onboard Xtra-Link (the boat I am taking part in the Cape to Rio Yacht race). My mom drove me down to the yacht club and I off loaded the shore equipment.

DSCF0006  DSCF0054

DSCF0055Nick & Phillipa are sailing Xtra-link back to Cape Town 

It is customary to bless the fleet before any long distance race. A short service was held at RCYC. Not quite what I was expecting. The pastor kept the blessing very general & could be applied to any religion. John Martin, the kingpin in organising the event, also had some words to say. I think he is very passionate about the race. He had to hold his tears back.

DSCF0068DSCF0060 DSCF0061 

John Martin & dignitaries, view on the deck of RCYC.

Family and friends came to greet all the competitors. The press was there and I saw Eben Human, a school friend’s dad. I forgot that he usually covers the sailing stories. My dad, mom, sister, step mom and Grant came to see me off. I was surprised at the little amount of tears that were shed. I’m sure they were just holding back, and they know that I’ll be back in about a year.

DSCF0071 DSCF0072 Farewell’s being said

DSCF0076 DSCF0077 DSCF0078

View from Xtra-Link as we depart the yacht club

We left the yacht club fairly early and enjoyed the view and great weather, no clouds & light winds. Aboard the boat, the star was typical for Wednesday evening racing, just less people on board. As we sailed out after the start, boats would follow us for a short while, taking photos. By the time we passed Robben Island, we were alone with only competitors on the horizon to motivate us.

DSCF0079 DSCF0097DSCF0098

The start boat (SA Navy), spectator boat, my fan club :)

 DSCF0083 DSCF0110DSCF0084

Our satellite airtime sponsor, Xtra-Link flag (supplied satellite communication aboard, Looking back at Cape Town

DSCF0114DSCF0115

The Heineken boat (event sponsor), Our view of Cape TownA video from Xtral-Link, just before the start.

DSCF0088    DSCF0119  DSCF0121 DSCF0123 DSCF0124

The day was chilled as we sailed on a 2 sail reach until night fall. It got cold early. We all donned fowlies to keep dry and warm. Our shifts started at sun down. It was very different to sleep 3 hours between every 1.5 hour shift. During the night we saw lots of commercial shipping traffic and 2 competitors in sight, 1 south and the other astern. I was on shift for sunrise….beautiful!

DSCF0128 DSCF0130 DSCF0133

0 comments:

Post a Comment